SSD VPS - Frequently Asked Questions
Please review our answers to some of the most common questions about our SSD virtual servers. If you do not find the information you need, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 020 3697 5537 Monday through Friday between 8am - 6pm GMT.
- What is a virtual server?
A virtual server, also known as a virtual dedicated server (VDS) or virtual private server (VPS), looks and acts like a dedicated server, but is actually a part of a larger host. Unlike a dedicated server where the entire computer runs the server software, a virtual server shares hardware and software resources with other operating systems (OS).
- What is SSD?
SSD stands for ‘solid-state disk’ or ‘solid-state drive,’ and is basically a fast and reliable data storage device for your server. It functions in much the same way as a traditional hard disk drive (HDD), but operates at a much faster speed. SSD uses flash memory chips to store data and has no moving parts. This helps eliminate the time taken to ‘find’ data (sometimes called ‘seek time’), which is associated with conventional hard drives.
- Why should I use an SSD virtual server?
In short, SSD makes things run faster. A SSD virtual server will offer high-speed read/write performance, quicker provisioning times and faster random access for your websites, storage and software. Basically, any scenario where disk I/O speed is a factor will be improved by SSD.
Better read speeds than standard mechanical disks mean that file access is quicker, resulting in a more efficient experience for you and your visitors.
If you run a database server, application server or data-driven website (i.e. one which gives customers direct access to a large data set for complex searches), an SSD VPS is ideal for your needs.
- What are the advantages of using a SSD virtual server?
There are many advantages to using a SSD virtual server, but the main one is speed. File access is quicker. Our SSD has been designed to deliver an increased level of performance and reliability, while also providing outstanding speed. Better write speeds mean faster data modifications. And with decreased latency, applications such as servers, databases and websites will run efficiently.
A virtual server fitted with SSD is also more environmentally friendly than a standard virtual server since it will consume less energy and run cooler.
We have partnered with SolidFire, a cloud computing storage company, to build our platform from the ground up, so our SSD virtual servers provide the best, most reliable performance.
- If I already have a Simply Cloud virtual server, how can I upgrade to an SSD virtual server?
You can easily upgrade to a SSD VPS through your control panel. Just follow these simple steps:
- Log into your control panel at https://admin.simplyhosting.cloud/login
- Click on the name of the server you want to migrate (the name will start with the letters “svm” followed by a set of numbers)
- Scroll down the page until you see the “Upgrade to SSD Platform” option and click the ‘Upgrade’ button
- Confirm the server you are upgrading and the cost, and click the ‘Purchase and Enable SSD’ button to begin the migration process
Your server will be in a powered off state during the upgrade process. In most cases, servers will be upgraded within 30 minutes; however, those with larger hard disks may take as long as an hour. Be sure to save all your work and close all your applications prior to initiating the upgrade.
- Can I revert back to my non-SSD server once I’ve upgraded to SSD?
- Unfortunately, no. Due to the different technologies used, upgrading is a one-way process. To move back to a standard virtual server, you will need to provision a second server and migrate the applications and data manually.
- How much does it cost for an SSD virtual server?
You can upgrade your existing virtual server to our SSD platform for just £0.10/GB of storage per month. We think you will find the added cost nominal compared to the improved performance, speed and reliability you’ll receive. Additional pricing for our virtual servers can be found at https://www.simplyhosting.cloud/servers/virtual-private-servers.
* The offer is £100 Cloud Hosting credit when purchasing any Cloud Hosting plan using the displayed voucher code. This credit is only redeemable for 30 days following the qualifying purchase. This offer is restricted to new customers only, cannot be applied to renewals and used in conjunction with any other offer and may be withdrawn at any time at the discretion of Simply Cloud Limited. Any customers who do not use the voucher code - 100CREDIT, will receive £10 credit, this credit is only redeemable for 30 days following the qualifying purchase. All prices displayed are exclusive of VAT, please note, for EU customers VAT rates payable will be subject to your country of residence.