Frequently Asked Questions
Please review our answers to some of the most common questions about our dedicated servers. If you do not find the information you need, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 020 3697 5537 Monday through Friday between 8am - 6pm GMT.
What is a dedicated server?
- A dedicated server is a single computer in a network where the owner has exclusive rights and usage. Dedicated servers are used when a website requires a unique security certificate or must maintain certain standards that call for dedicated access and control of the server.
What are the advantages of a dedicated server?
- The primary advantage is obtaining complete access to all the resources of the hardware while maintaining optimum performance since no other website can take up memory and cause your server to run slowly. You also get complete control of all installed software, including the operating system. In addition, dedicated servers have specific requirements for data security and server protection.
Should I install a control panel on my server?
- Control panels help you manage websites and hosting accounts by streamlining processes such as creating databases, managing website files and setting up email accounts and automatic responses. They give you complete control over a wide range of functions and allow you to customize your web hosting experience to suit your needs. Plesk and cPanel control panels can be installed on your dedicated server for an additional cost. Both are fast, stable and secure, but are available with only certain operating systems. Please call us at 020 3697 5537 for assistance in choosing the operating system and control panel that is best for your business.
Can I upgrade an existing server?
- Yes. You may upgrade your server at any point during your twelve month contract. For details, please contact our Dedicated Server Support Team at email@example.com.
Which operating system should I install?
- Generally, if you use PHP, Perl or mySQL with your website, a Linux distribution would be the most suitable. If you use ASP and/or MS SQL, Windows is the best choice. Another consideration is that Linux is free, whereas Windows comes with a monthly licensing fee. Since the requirements of each business are unique, please call us at 020 3697 5537 to discuss your options.
Can I install an operating system not currently listed?
- Yes. Our servers support operating system other than Linux and Windows. Please contact us prior to selecting your system to ensure we can properly support you.
What happens if my server goes down after hours?
- We offer 24/7 support; however, you may experience a slight delay in receiving a response to non-emergency queries submitted between 12AM-6AM GMT.
Where is my data stored?
- All newly-ordered customer servers are located in our Sentronex facility in the London area. We also have some long standing customer servers in our Global Switch 2 facility in London Docklands. For information on the features of our data centres, please see our fact sheet here.
How long does it take to set up a dedicated server?
- Our stock servers are generally installed within an hour from the point of order. Some software options can increase this installation time. Bespoke servers are installed within 10 working days as we will need to order the hardware from our suppliers.
* The offer is £100 Cloud Hosting credit when purchasing any Cloud Hosting plan using the displayed voucher code. This credit is only redeemable for 30 days following the qualifying purchase. This offer is restricted to new customers only, cannot be applied to renewals and used in conjunction with any other offer and may be withdrawn at any time at the discretion of Simply Cloud Limited. Any customers who do not use the voucher code - 100CREDIT, will receive £10 credit, this credit is only redeemable for 30 days following the qualifying purchase. All prices displayed are exclusive of VAT, please note, for EU customers VAT rates payable will be subject to your country of residence.